Monday, October 1, 2012

Singer Featherweight - I Got One!

Hello All:

I have to make a very real confession.  I am a gadget, toy, and new tool person.  I think it is a slight addiction.  I had to have a computer when people started using this tech at home.  My first computer was a Commodore 64.  I proceed to a IBM PC then to HPs.  I have now become a Apple Girl.  I have started with IPod and it keeps getting worst.

I am the same way with sewing machines.  I really can not help myself.  I started with a Sears Kenmore many years ago.  I thought that people were to keep the same machine for years.  I thought it was rule.  But, since I began to sew again, I found it is not a rule.  I have talked to many people that have many sewing machines and use them in rotation order.  Right now, I am into Singers.  I have wanted a vintage Singer for some time.  My sister and I have been trolling on Ebay for months looking for the right machine Singer featherweight.  Here is a link for more information about Singer Featherweight.



The Featherweight Model 221 was manufactured in various forms between 1933 and 1964 in both the US at Elizabethport, New Jersey and Kilbowie, Scotland. Machines for the Canadian market made in Scotland were exported to St. Johns, Quebec, Canada to be fitted with 110-120 volts AC motors to work on this side of the Atlantic Ocean.

Most Featherweights were painted a shiny black with gold decals, though there have been models manufactured in a beige color and a very pale green, actually a white color with a green tinge. These machines have a smaller fold-down shelf than the black ones. I have seen Featherweights for sale on eBay that have been repainted in metallic teal, red, orange, purple, and a bright pink.  Recently, I saw one that had been re-painted in burgundy.  It looked swell, but I prefer the original black and gold decal modals.

Well, my sister and I won bids on EBay for featherweight Singers.  They just arrived and Wow....I am in love.  We have taken them to be cleaned and serviced.  I cannot wait to start doing patchwork on this little baby   CHOW.

Enjoy a picture of the statue of King Kamehameha I taken on June 24, 2012 during my grand tour of Hawaii.

FYI:

The statue of Kamehameha I (original cast) is an outdoor sculpture  by American artist Thomas Ridgeway Gould, cast in 1880 and installed in 1883. The Kamehameha I sculpture is an over-sized painted brass casting of King Kamehameha I, the ruler credited with unifying the  Hawaiian islands in the early nineteenth century and establishing the  Kingdom of Hawaii in 1810. Though the surface of the sculpture was originally finished with a brown chemical patina and gold leaf, it has become local tradition to paint the statue with lifelike colors, and it appears as such to this day. Originally commissioned to celebrate the centennial of Captain Cook’s arrival to the Hawaiian Islands and to stand in front of the  Ali'iolani Hale government building in  Honolulu, extenuating circumstances during its delivery to Hawaiiʻi delayed its arrival, and resulted in its being placed instead in Kapaʻau, near Kamehameha I’s birthplace.  The statue represents an important cultural and spiritual object for the local community.

No comments:

Post a Comment